Steve maintains a diverse law practice, focusing on many diverse areas of the law. These areas include commercial and business litigation, employment law, as well as business formation and business counseling. Steve advises business on privacy matters, and with an in-depth knowledge and use of State and Federal Fair Credit Reporting Act issues, has served as General Counsel for background screening and private investigation firms. He has also worked extensively advising schools and churches, including representing the Catholic Archdiocese of Indianapolis. He also maintains an estate planning and probate practice.
Mr. Koers also manages a very active insurance defense practice focusing on worker’s compensation defense, and general liability defense. Steve is currently an active Board Member of the Indiana Workers Compensation Institute.
Mr. Koers is a former licensed title agent and has extensive experience in all matters of real estate law, including real estate negotiations and closings, as well as the related areas of land use and zoning, landlord/tenant issues, negotiation of commercial lease agreements, and residential and commercial mortgage foreclosures.
Steve was born and raised in Indianapolis and is extremely proud of his community. Steve graduated from Brebeuf Preparatory School in 1985. He received his Bachelor of Arts from Northwestern University in 1989 and his Juris Doctor from Indiana University – Bloomington Maurer School of Law in 1992. Upon graduating he worked for four years as a Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for Marion County, Indiana, where he gained extensive courtroom and litigation experience, including numerous first chair jury trials. Steve then transitioned to private practice where he has gained extensive knowledge and experience in multiple areas of the law.
Steve is married with two wonderful children. He is an active member of the St. Simon the Apostle Catholic Church.
Education and Qualifications
- Northwestern University, B.A. Political Science, 1989
- Indiana University School of Law – Bloomington, J.D. 1992
- Admitted to Indiana Bar, 1992
- Admitted to practice, Indiana Supreme Court, U.S. Northern and Southern Districts of Indiana
- Former Deputy Prosecuting Attorney, Marion County (IN) Prosecuting Attorney’s Office – 19th Judicial Circuit
- Indianapolis Bar Association
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana
- Indiana Workers Compensation Institute
- St. Simon Parish Festival Chair, 2012 – present
- St. Simon School Pastoral Council and Executive Committee – President 2010-2012; Vice President and Secretary 2008-2010; Simon Principal search and Building committees 2009-2010.
- Northwestern University Alumni Club of Indianapolis – President 2010-2014; Treasurer 2006-2010; Board of Directors 2000-2105
- Coach – Oaklandon Youth Organization 2009-2015