Paul’s primary practice area is civil litigation. Paul has conducted jury trials on such claims as construction design defect, wrongful death, defamation, battery, automotive negligence, traumatic brain injury and medical malpractice. He currently represents individuals, businesses, insureds, injured people, and governments in civil litigation. Paul has maintained a statewide practice since 2005.
Paul was selected to represent the Indiana State Fair Commission, the Indiana Department of Homeland Security, and the Indiana State Police in the mass litigation ensuing from the August 13, 2011 stage roof collapse at the Indiana State Fair. The lawsuits, which received significant national media coverage, involved now-resolved claims by more than sixty plaintiffs.
Upon graduation from law school, he was awarded the Dean’s Distinguished Service Award for service to the law school. In 2007, Paul served as Assistant Majority Counsel to the Indiana State Senate. In 2009, Paul was named as an “Up and Coming Lawyer” by the publication Indiana Lawyer. From 2009 to 2012, Paul was appointed by the Indianapolis City Council to serve on the Board of Public Safety, which performs certain public safety oversight functions. He was one of five members on the board and served alongside the Director of Public Safety.
On behalf of select business clients, Paul has worked with elected officials, governmental management, and business leaders to resolve issues that may arise when businesses and government interface. Paul resides in Indianapolis with his wife and their feisty dog, Noor.
Indiana State Courts, Indiana Northern and Southern District Courts
Memberships and Activities:
- Indianapolis and Indiana Bar Associations.
- Penrod Arts Society, member (Class of 2007).
- Indiana Leadership Forum, graduate (Class 2008)
- Brain Injury Association of Indiana, director (2016-2018).
- Storefront Theatre of Indianapolis, director (2016-present).
- Hillcrest Country Club, Facilities sub-committee, member (present).
- Defense Trial Counsel Institute, approved member (2010- present).
- Indianapolis Board of Public Safety, council appointee (2009 to 2012).
- Jim Banks for Congress, Finance Committee, member (2016 – present).
- Valparaiso University, Indpls. Alumni Board, dean appointee (2007-2009).
- Becky Skillman for Lieutenant Governor, Finance Committee, member (2008).
Presentations and Seminars:
- VU School of Law, Private Practice, “Law Student Employment Symposium” (panelist, 2007) (Valparaiso).
- ICLEF, The Defense Perspective, “State & Municipal Tort Claims” (presenter, 2010) (Indianapolis).
- IUPUI, SPEA, “Tort & Economics” (presenter, 2010) (Indianapolis).
- IU McKinney Law School, Distinguished Speaker Series, “Was the State Fair?” (panelist, 2012) (Indianapolis).
- National Assoc. of Attorneys General, “The Tort Lawyer’s Perspective: Case Study of a Governmental Response to Mass Catastrophe” (panelist, 2012) (Indianapolis).
- Lorman, Recent Trends Involving the Law of Arrest, Search and Seizure, “Police Liability and Immunity” (presenter, 2012) (Indianapolis).
- OAG Legal Services CLE, Seminar for State agency counsel, “Tort Claims 101” (presenter, 2013) (Indianapolis).
- ICLEF, Masters Series for Mediation & ADR, “State Fair Protocols” (presenter, 2013) (French Lick).
- Lorman, Police Liability in Indiana, “False Arrest & False Imprisonment” (presenter, 2013) (South Bend).
- Lorman, Police Liability in Indiana, “False Arrest & False Imprisonment” (presenter, 2013) (Indianapolis).
- ICLEF, Suing the Government, “The Defense” (panelist, 2013) (Indianapolis).
- Dept. of Health’s Legal Department, “Tort Claims 101” (presenter, 2014) (Indianapolis).
- ICLEF, “Special Issues in Automobile Accidents” (presenter, 2014) (Merrillville).
- ICLEF, “Crashes in Construction Zones” (presenter, 2014) (Indianapolis).
- INDOT Statewide Maintenance Conference, Torts, “Taking Care of What We Have” (panelist, 2016) (Spencer).
- American Assoc. of State Dam Safety Officials, “Dam Liability” (presenter, 2017) (Greenwood).
- ICLEF, Personal Injury Deskbook, “Government Tort Claims” (defense panelist, 2018) (Indianapolis).
- National Business Institute, Local Government Law “Governmental Immunity” (presenter, 2018) (Merrillville).
- National Business Institute, Local Government Law “Ethics for Government Lawyers” (presenter, 2018) (Indianapolis).